Thursday, June 10, 2010

Restaurant Alex @ the Wynn

Our second day of relaxing was much like the first, though we both went to the pool and we both gambled together.  I met the couples he met the day before at the pool.  Two male cousins from Venezuela had their outrageously beautiful girlfriends with them.  All the guys at the pool stared at the girlfriends.  The two males dealt in diamonds and were in town for a gem convention.

We ordered the 1.5 pound pastrami sandwich from Zoozacrackers deli at 3 pm, which made our 6 pm Alex reservations impossible.  The dinner reservations were moved back to 8:30 pm.  It was the perfect time for us to go.
The long meal began with an amuse bouche assortment from the chef:  pork with corn, risotto ball, cauliflower soup, prawn and "cheese and cracker."
A stuffed tomato appeared to whet my appetite.
A prawn appetizer was ordered, which featured a perfectly cooked prawn.
My main course was lamb with peas, lettuce and pasta balls.  I put the darker triangle on my fork, thinking it was a vegetable, and ate it.  Immediately I thought, this is not a vegetable, it's lamb offal.  When questioned further, the chef told the server the triangle was in fact lamb tongue.  I knew what the second item was:  sweetbread--i.e. thymus glands (which immediately went to my husband, who's not nearly as squeamish as I am about offal).  The lamb dish was delicious (though I enjoy vegetables much more than animal innards).  Ecologically it's better to consume, and not waste, the whole animal.
I loved the way the palate cleanser came in Bodum cups that made the custards look like they were floating.  My husband's was tropical tapioca and coconut, while mine was berry-based.
The cherries have been so nice in Northern California, that this dessert on the menu appealed to me.  I let the chocolate melt on my tongue, then tried the crisp pistachio on sugar with the pistachio ice cream.  The quartered cherries went in my mouth piece-by-piece.  Finally a layer of pistachio cake, layered with tempered chocolate and pistachio cream went down bite-by-bite.
Petit fours and freshly baked brown-butter Madelines were to be enjoyed as long as we wished.  We were sent home with a peach "Alex" box of macaroons.

Hearing Alex was the best restaurant at the Wynn, we wished to try it while we were there.  Restaurant Alex delighted our senses and added to our very pleasant time in Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment