Monday, August 30, 2010

L'Affaire de la Bière

Wednesday hubby and I went to pick up the Community Supported Agriculture.  I spent a long time when we arrived home chopping peppers, tomatoes, tomatillo, (grated carrots) and cilantro from our CSA to make salsa.  My husband went to New Leaf Market to pick up an onion to complete the salsa.  He made eggs for us to eat with our salsa dinner.
Saturday we visited with friends in San Francisco.  The four of us attended one of the last weekends of special pre-Impressionist exhibits at the de Young and Palace of the Legion of Honor museums.  Dinner from the Beach Chalet was by the San Francisco coastline.

Today we purchased specially priced Summit Lake wines for friends.  Mark and Heather Griffin were sweet enough to give us a flat of pears from their tree and eggs from their chickens.  I watched as Mark’s four large containers of beer fermented.

This evening we ended our eleventh anniversary weekend at Ad Hoc restaurant in Yountville, CA.  There was a sweet couple from Long Island, NY sitting next to us.  Nathan showed us an empty Blue Apron beer bottle after hubby asked what the 100 bottles on the wall were about.  The bottle looked cool, so I set it down beside me.  After all, with my back to the wall, I though it had come from the recycle bin.  Little did I know it was an important part of the decor.

Ad Hoc was very kind to us:
 Melon and smoked salmon amuse bouche
Yellow and green bean salad with fennel, frisee, olives, walnuts and cream
An appetizer of prosciutto-wrapped sea bass with corn and mushrooms.  I'm a big fan of yellow corn.
Chicken (butchered Thursday) and Italian sausage with polenta
Tome des Recollets with Asian pear and candied peanuts
Peach cobbler with ice cream

My husband and I joked that the staff was trying to determine the best way to get the bottle back from me.  In the end, they had us sign the bottle to put back on the wall.  They gave us a full, fully signed bottle to take home.  The beer affair ended this way:  the bottle now graces our wine room.
The ale from Brooklyn Brewery was used at the NYC opening of Per Se restaurant.  Restaurant group owner Thomas Keller liked it so much that Brooklyn Brewery bottles it now with special "Blue Apron" labels in honor of Keller's chefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment